An Anaheim man accused of posting threats against Vice President JD Vance during a visit to Disneyland last year pleaded not guilty Tuesday to charges in a federal indictment.
Marco Antonio Aguayo, 22, is charged with threats against Vance in an indictment handed down Jan. 30.
The case was assigned to U.S. District Judge John Holcomb, who scheduled a status conference for March 6 and set trial for March 23.
According to an FBI affidavit, Vance and his family were visiting the theme park when Aguayo allegedly posted threats on his Instagram account about 6:15 p.m. July 12.
Aguayo posted, “Pipe bombs have been placed in preparation for JD Vance’s arrival,” the FBI alleged.
He also allegedly commented, “It’s time for us to rise up and you will be a witness to it.”
The FBI said he also stated, “Good luck finding all of them on time there will be bloodshed tonight and we will bathe in the blood of corrupt politicians.”
When FBI agents and an Anaheim police sergeant confronted Aguayo about the posts that evening, he initially denied knowledge and claimed his account had been hacked, according to the FBI.
Later, Aguayo “ultimately admitted to making the threatening statements,” the FBI said.
“He claimed that he intended it merely as a joke to provoke attention and laughter,” the FBI alleged. “Aguayo stated he contemplated deleting the post but ultimately forgot to do so.”
