Gun users and others in Los Angeles must destroy or get rid of any high-capacity ammunition magazines they have by next week, after a judge Thursday denied a request to suspend a ban of the devices, city officials said.
The California Rifle and Pistol Association — the official National Rifle Association affiliate — along with 30 county sheriffs and several law enforcement organizations filed a lawsuit last month in a bid to block the law.
Their request for a restraining order was denied Thursday by Superior Court Judge James Chalfant, City Attorney Mike Feuer said Thursday.
Under the ban, anyone who possesses ammunition magazines with more than 10 rounds must destroy or get rid of them within 60 days from the effective date or they will face criminal charges.
Mayor Eric Garcetti signed the ban into law in August, and the law went into effect in September, about a month later.
“This is a victory for common sense gun violence prevention laws,” Feuer said Thursday of Chalfant’s ruling. “The use of these magazines has so often led to tragedy. This law will help prevent those horrible events in the future.”
Chuck Michel, the president and attorney for the pistol and rifle association, said despite the denial, their fight against the ban is “far from over.”
Their contention that the city’s ban is superseded by state law “was not decided,” and the question was scheduled to be taken up at the next court hearing in April, Michel said.
Councilman Paul Krekorian, who authored the ban, said it will “give law enforcement another tool to keep people safe and get these dangerous devices off the streets.”
He urged owners of the magazines “to dispose of them legally at an LAPD station before enforcement begins” next week.
Attorneys for Michel & Associates, who filed the lawsuit on behalf of the plaintiffs, contend that existing state laws prevent individual cities from adopting their own laws on the issue.
An existing state law bans the sale and manufacture of high-capacity magazines, but allows possession of the magazines.
The lawsuit also contends the city’s ban puts law enforcement officials who are passing through Los Angeles “at risk of prosecution” and “creates a patchwork quilt of laws that transient citizens, including inactive and off- duty enforcement officers, must attempt to navigate under threat of criminal penalties,” attorneys wrote in their complaint.
The California Reserve Peace Officers Association, the Law Enforcement Alliance of America and individual county sheriffs also are part of the lawsuit.
— Wire reports