Artist's rendering of the rejected proposed football stadium in Carson that would have housed the Raiders. Image via Twitter
Artist’s rendering of the rejected proposed football stadium in Carson that would have housed the Raiders. Image via Twitter

Carson Mayor Albert Robles sent best wishes to the city of Inglewood following NFL owners’ approval of a stadium project at the former Hollywood Park Racetrack site, but he reiterated concerns the Inglewood project could be a hazard to airline traffic.

Carson had been pushing for a $1.7 billion, 72,000-seat stadium to house the Chargers and Raiders, but National Football League owners instead threw their weight behind the Inglewood project to house the Rams and either the Chargers or Raiders.

“We wish Inglewood and our former partners, the Chargers and the Raiders, the best of luck,” Robles said.

But Tuesday he said the city would be watching developments with the Inglewood project, particularly any fallout from a “notice of potential hazard” issued by the FAA, which warned the Hollywood Park stadium could present a risk of danger for plans approaching Los Angeles International Airport.

Inglewood officials have downplayed any such risk, but Robles said Carson’s site will still be available for a few more months if the NFL wants to reconsider.

“If the league must revisit this issue, Carson stands ready,” Robles said. “Our site will be exclusively available as a stadium site until at least April when our current agreement with the Chargers and Raiders expires.”

If there is no change of heart by the league, Robles said the city is prepared to move forward with other development on the stadium site near the San Diego (405) and Harbor (110) freeways.

“After April, for the first time ever, the city will be in complete control of the destiny of this shovel-ready, hugely valuable, strategically located property,” Robles said. “We have been in talks with a nationally prominent developer who has been patiently waiting in the wings. Now we can turn our focus to completing those negotiations. We are excited about this new opportunity.”

Robles said he appreciated the chance for the city to propose the NFL project, which drastically raised Carson’s public profile.

“This NFL bidding process has put Carson on the map as a city that has the wherewithal to compete in the big leagues for development opportunities,” he said. “In just a few short months, our City Attorney’s Office and the council put together one of the most complicated transactions in Southern California in decades.

“Carson will now re-start our original plan for building out our 157- acre property in partnership with one of the nation’s largest commercial developers,” Robles said.

–City News Service

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.