Illegal fireworks confiscated by the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department.

Citing a growing number of reports of illegal fireworks being set off around the Fourth of July and other holidays, the Los Angeles City Council voted Tuesday to devise strategies on how to cut down on their use.

Although fireworks are illegal in Los Angeles, every year in California they cause serious injuries and fires, and their use has become more widespread, according to the motion that was approved on a 15-0 vote.

“In a region prone to wildfire, one errant bottle rocket in the hills surrounding the city could result in lives lost and houses destroyed,” the motion says.

The motion directs the Office of the Chief Legislative Analyst, with the assistance of the city’s police and fire departments and the city attorney, to report on issues related to illegal fireworks and steps that could be taken to curtail their use within the city.

Councilman Mitch O’Farrell introduced the motion and said the problem of illegal fireworks appears to be growing.

“This is a really, really serious and growing problem and has been for a long time, but it seems to have reached a crescendo last Fourth of July and the months leading up to it,” he said earlier this month.

–City News Service

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *