The leadership of the SAG-AFTRA actors union reported Monday that negotiations with producers so far have yielded no agreement on a new three-year contract, and it said it was asking for a strike authorization vote to strengthen its hand.
It said in a statement on the union’s website that it had been hard at work bargaining with the major studios and networks represented by the Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers about a new three-year contract covering motion pictures, television and new media.
“We had hoped to be sharing the good news that we had reached a tentative agreement with the AMPTP but, unfortunately, their unwillingness to come to a fair and equitable agreement means we are coming to you with very different news,” according to the statement.
“We have presented reasonable proposals to address the critical concerns facing our members and that are integral to making a living in this industry. The AMPTP has responded with outrageous rollbacks that cut to the core of our basic terms and conditions.”
The statement vowed that union negotiators “will not give in to managementís onerous demands nor back down on our critical proposals.”
It disclosed that SAG-AFTRA’s National Board of Directors Monday unanimously voted Sunday to send out a strike authorization referendum to members unless a satisfactory agreement is reached by June 30, 2017.
“A strike authorization is not a strike. It is a powerful tool that authorizes your negotiators to call a strike if they are unable to secure a fair deal,” the statement said. “… Our negotiating committee will use this tool if necessary. Now more than ever, our collective strength, unity and commitment is critical to securing the fair contract our members deserve.”
Details of the union’s latest demands were not immediately spelled out.
—City News Service