O.J. Simpson’s release from a Nevada prison over the weekend will trigger a renewed effort to collect from him a 1997 civil jury award that held him liable in the deaths of his estranged wife and her friend, according to an attorney involved in the case.
The onetime football legend was paroled for his 2007 conviction for armed robbery and kidnapping at 12:08 a.m. Sunday.
Attorney David Cook, who represents the father of Ron Goldman, told CNN the $33.5 million Simpson was ordered to pay the victims’ families had since ballooned to nearly $70 million with interest.
He said he renewed the judgment in 2015 at $57 million. But Simpson’s attorney, Malcolm LaVergne, told CNN that as far as he knew, his client will be a retiree and won’t have assets for the victims’ families to collect.
Simpson was acquitted in 1995 of murdering Goldman and Nicole Brown Simpson in a criminal tria. A civil jury later found there was enough evidence to hold Simpson accountable for their stabbing deaths, but only a fraction of the multimillion-dollar award was ever collected.
Simpson served nine years in prison, out of a 33-year term, for leading a group of men into a Las Vegas hotel and casino to steal sports memorabilia at gunpoint that he said had been stolen from him. A parole board granted him release in July, giving him credit for good behavior and for taking classes in prison.
—City News Service