A complaint of sexual harassment that had been brought against John Bailey, president of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, has been dismissed, and he will continue to serve as the organization’s president, it was reported Wednesday.

In a statement Tuesday night, the organization said its membership committee “unanimously determined that no further action was merited on this matter,” according to the Hollywood Reporter. “The findings and recommendations of the committee were reported to the Board, which endorsed its recommendation. John Bailey remains President of the Academy.”

The statement referred to an investigation undertaken by the Academy’s membership committee following a complaint of sexual harassment lodged against the Academy president. While the Academy said “it took the complaint very seriously,” the committee “unanimously agreed that no further action was merited on this matter” and passed its findings and recommendations on to the full board of governors, which endorsed its conclusions, according to the Reporter.

Bailey, 75, was elected to his first one-year term as president Aug. 8 by the Academy’s 54-member board of governors. Previously he had represented the cinematographers branch of the organization for more than a decade.

As a cinematographer, Bailey’s credits include Ordinary People (1980) and The Big Chill (1983), among other titles. His wife, Oscar-nominated film editor Carol Littleton, is also on the Academy’s board of governors, representing the editors branch.

Earlier this month, it was reported that three sexual harassment complaints had been filed against Bailey. The Academy said Tuesday that those reports of three claims were incorrect, saying that “there was only one claim under consideration, which was received on Tuesday, March 13, 2018.”

That one claim quickly became one of the first tests of the Academy’s new code of conduct and procedures for its enforcement. The Academy adopted the code of conduct for its members in December following its expulsion of disgraced mogul Harvey Weinstein in October, and it then adopted new procedures to handle allegations of workplace misconduct in January.

The Academy has not disclosed the nature of the allegation against Bailey.

Bailey issued a March 24 memo to the Academy’s staff in which he said media reports on the alleged harassment were “false and have served only to tarnish my 50-year career.”

“There was a single named complaint regarding an allegation dating back more than a decade ago in which I am alleged to have to attempted to touch a woman inappropriately while we were both riding in a transport van on a movie set. That did not happen,” he wrote, according to the Reporter.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.