A young man who alleges he was sexually abused by a pastor at the Catholic church he attended in Covina settled his lawsuit against the Archdiocese of Los Angeles, attorneys told a judge Tuesday.

The plaintiff, identified only as John CJ Doe, alleged child sexual abuse and negligence. The lawyers informed Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Holly Kendig that the case was resolved, but no terms were divulged. Kendig heard pretrial motions last week prior to the settlement.

The suit was filed in May 2015 and also named as defendants St. Louise de Marillac Church and the Rev. Christopher Cunningham. The plaintiff alleged that Cunningham abused him in 2001 and 2002 when Doe was 12 and 13 years old.

Cunningham was 42 when he was reassigned to Assumption Catholic Church in Ventura in 2004, according to published reports at the time. Supporters of Cunningham sent 8,000 letters to the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Los Angeles pleading not to oust their pastor, the reports stated. They protested at Cathedral of Our Lady of the Angels in downtown Los Angeles and held meetings to come up with a plan to save Cunningham.

However, the St. Louise de Marillac parishioners were not given an explanation from the archdiocese as to why the pastor was transferred, the lawsuit stated.

“Parishioners were not told his removal had to do with an accusation of sexual abuse of a child,” according to the complaint. “Rather, the (archdiocese), through (former) Cardinal Roger Mahony, publicly cited Cunningham’s emotional instability, his harshness in exercising authority and his interfering with a church investigation.”

Mahony “publicly acknowledged his awareness that Cunningham had convinced others to keep silent regarding Cunningham’s misdeeds,” according to the lawsuit.

Instead of announcing the reason for his departure, the archdiocese allowed Cunningham “to inflame the parish community to support him,” the suit alleged.

Cunningham was removed from active ministry within the archdiocese in 2006, but no reason was given for the action until 2013, when he was included on a list of priests with credible accusations against them of sexual abuse, the suit stated.

“The notice was buried within thousands of pages of personnel files of child-molesting priests that had been ordered to be produced by the courts,” the suit stated.

The archdiocese did not reveal why Cunningham was removed from the Covina parish out of fear that his alleged victims would come forward and that criminal and civil cases would be initiated, the suit stated.

“Instead, defendants have been content to have victims of Father Cunningham suffer in silence believing that they are alone,” the suit stated.

The archdiocese knew that prior complaints were made about Cunningham before he ended his alleged abuse of the plaintiff and that the priest regularly had underage boys with him in his church living quarters, the suit stated. He also went with boys to movies, to Starbucks and on other outings without having a chaperone present, the suit alleged.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *