A neon sign sparked a fire shortly after midnight Thursday at a strip mall in Monterey Park, but no one was injured, authorities said.

The fire at 123 E. Garvey Ave. was reported about 12:15 a.m., said Monterey Park Fire Department Division Chief Matt Hallock.

Monterey Park firefighters were assisted by the Alhambra and Los Angeles County fire departments, Hallock said.

The fire was contained to a single unit within 15 minutes with minimal smoke damage to adjoining units.

The cause of the fire was determined to be an electrical short in a neon sign.

Damage was estimated at approximately $25,000.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.