A part of a two-story 1920s apartment building, the site of a major emergency fire that began Saturday in the basement of the Historic South Central structure and spread into the south side of the complex, has collapsed.
“This will be an extended operation, possibly spanning more than a day, to allow heavy equipment to remove debris and uncover smoldering materials,” said Nicholas Prange of the Los Angeles City Fire Department. “Interim housing accommodations are being made for displaced residents.”
An approximate number of displaced residents was not immediately known.
Crews responded to the building in the 4000 block of Main Street at 3:03 a.m. and found smoke coming from the second floor, according to Margaret Stewart of the Los Angeles Fire Department.
Firefighters made their way inside and located fire in the basement of the building, but have been unable to make access to the flames due to pack rat conditions.
“Firefighters deployed hose lines into the windows in every unit, as well as into the basement,” Stewart said. “Despite their continuous efforts, the deep-seated fire looks to be extending up through the second floor to the roof.”
Firefighters evacuated residents on both floors before all crews were pulled out of the building due to indications one wall was buckling due to the heavy fire in the basement, she said.
A resident suffered unknown injuries and was taken to a hospital with stable vital signs, Stewart said.
A total of 111 firefighters were on scene.