Orange County prosecutors declined to file charges against a man arrested in connection with a deadly shooting over gang graffiti near Anaheim, a spokeswoman for the Orange County District Attorney’s Office said Thursday.
Edgar Ramirez of Anaheim was booked Tuesday night following questioning by Orange County sheriff’s investigators, according to Orange County sheriff’s Lt. Jeff Hallock.
Prosecutors have asked investigators to gather more evidence, according to Roxi Fyad of the Orange County District Attorney’s Office.
Ramirez, who had been held without bail, was expected to be released Thursday, according to Hallock.
Sheriff’s investigators arrested Ramirez after consulting with the prosecutor assigned to the case, but “subsequent investigation and discussion” led prosecutors to reverse course and seek more evidence, Hallock said.
Ramirez was scheduled to appear in court on a probation violation allegation, but that was based on his arrest in the shootings, Hallock said. Ramirez pleaded guilty March 25, 2014, to vandalism and was sentenced to 60 days in jail and placed on three years of formal probation.
The fatal victim — 51-year-old David Bruce Douglas of Anaheim — was shot on July 19 at Poona Drive and Lullaby Lane in an unincorporated area of Anaheim, Hallock said. Another victim, who is 39, is expected to survive, Hallock said.
The victims, who were found in a Ford SUV, had been involved in a confrontation with at least one suspect about “tagging” in the area, Hallock said. Witnesses told investigators they heard gunshots and then saw as many as six men running away, Hallock said.
Ramirez’s arrest followed the booking of David Steven Ortega, 32, of Chino, on July 21. Ortega was released July 23 after prosecutors declined to immediately file charges.
Ortega and Ramirez remain under suspicion as authorities continue to investigate the case, Fyad said.
—City News Service