The 9,217-acre Canyon Fire 2 in the Anaheim Hills remained at 70 percent contained Saturday as firefighters continue to build and improve containment lines in anticipation of warmer and drier conditions this weekend.
Fire commanders said full containment, which had been expected Saturday, is now anticipated by Tuesday.
“Minimal fire behavior was observed throughout the night (and) all residential areas have been re-populated,” according to an Anaheim Fire Department update. The public is reminded to remain vigilant and monitor changes in weather and fire conditions.”
A red flag warning has been issued by the National Weather Service beginning at 10 a.m. today, lasting through noon Sunday.
The 241 toll road, which had been closed in both directions between the 91 Freeway and Santiago Canyon Road, was partially re-opened in both directions Friday. The southbound 241 off-ramp to Santiago Canyon Road and the northbound 241 on-ramp to Santiago remained closed.
Strides were made in the earlier part of the weeklong battle, allowing for authorities to lift all evacuation orders by 5 p.m. Wednesday, and several local schools and colleges that closed earlier in the week were open for business by Thursday.
Santa Ana Canyon Road between Woodcrest and Gypsum Canyon roads in Anaheim remains closed.
The flames damaged electrical cables, signs, guardrails, fences and traffic control devices, according to Lisa Telles of the Transportation Corridor Agencies, which manages toll roads in Orange County.
Since breaking out Monday, the fire has destroyed 25 structures and damaged 53 more while threatening some 3,500 others, according to the latest update from the Orange County Fire Authority. More than 1,000 firefighters and other responders from multiple agencies were working on the blaze.
Three minor injuries have been reported in the fire, including two firefighters who suffered minor smoke inhalation.
The cause of the fire remains under investigation. It erupted Monday about a mile from the area scorched by the recent Canyon Fire, which blackened more than 2,600 acres and took more than a week to contain. The new fire initially broke out near the Riverside (91) Freeway east of Gypsum Canyon Road, near the Coal Canyon flashpoint of September’s Canyon Fire, according to the OCFA.
The House of Representatives approved funding Thursday for wildfire efforts in California, according to Rep. Mimi Walters, R-Irvine.
The bill approved $576.5 million for firefighting efforts in the state, her office said.
This week, the community of Anaheim Hills was devastated by the quick- moving Canyon Fire 2,” Walters said. “Although 23 structures were destroyed and dozens more damaged, I am thankful no lives were lost in this disaster. Unfortunately, the fires in Northern California are expected to worsen in the coming days. These fires have already claimed numerous lives, destroyed thousands of homes and businesses, and have caused unimaginable pain and suffering.”
—City News Service
>> Want to read more stories like this? Get our Free Daily Newsletters Here!Follow us: