An apartment in Riverside caught fire due to a faulty fireplace, prompting the evacuation of the building and displacing three people, fire officials said Saturday.
It happened at around 8:55 p.m. Friday in the 4600 block of Maxwell Court, according to the Riverside Fire Department.
The fire ignited in the third story of a three-story apartment building, with photos from the scene showing flames shooting out from a window.
It was initially reported that a resident might have been trapped in the burning building but when firefighters searched it, they found nobody inside, Battalion Chief Mike Allen said.
Firefighters also met with residents to make sure everyone was accounted for, according to Allen.
Although the blaze was confined to the apartment of origin, it caused heavy damage to the roof and the second and third stories, causing an estimated $250,000 in damages, fire officials said.
“Most probable cause of the fire was a heat source from a defective chimney,” Allen said.
Three people were displaced and the apartment where the fire started was condemned by code enforcement.
No injuries were reported.
>> Want to read more stories like this? Get our Free Daily Newsletters Here!Follow us: