The county’s interim health officer advised residents of the northern valleys and mountain areas, where wind chill temperatures are expected to drop below freezing Tuesday night and into Thursday, to dress in warm layers, bring pets indoors and never use appliances like stoves to heat a home.

“Children, the elderly and people with disabilities or special medical needs are especially vulnerable during such cold snaps,” said Dr. Jeffrey Gunzenhauser.

“There are places where people can go to stay warm, such as shelters or other public facilities,” he said. “We also want to remind people not to use stoves, barbecues or ovens to heat their homes, due to the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning.”

Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include shortness of breath, headaches, muscle and joint pain and nausea. Exposure to high levels of the gas can lead to death within minutes.

Gunzenhauser also urged residents of the San Fernando, Santa Clarita and Antelope valleys and mountain areas to check in frequently on seniors or those with illnesses in their neighborhoods.

Outside generators should be kept at least 10 feet away from all doors and windows to avoid exhaust gases entering a home.

Locations and transportation information on the county’s winter shelter program can be found at www.lahsa.org or by calling the county information line at 2-1-1.

City News Service

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.