• Facebook
  • Google Plus
  • Instagram
  • RSS Feed
  • Twitter

Menu

Skip to content
  • About
  • Staff
  • Contact
  • Advertise
  • FAQ
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Service
Header image

MyNewsLA.comLogo

Breaking news for greater Los Angeles and Orange County

Menu

Skip to content
  • Crime
  • Government
  • Business
  • Education
  • Sports
  • Hollywood
  • Life
  • Weather
  • OC
  • More mysterious illnesses reported near LA's Skid Row
  • California Supreme Court refuses to take up teacher tenure case
  • John Oliver's exit tactic for Trump: Drop out, become hero
  • Trump as gossip columnist? Dishes on 'Morning Joe' duo
  • Volunteers wanted for Election Day, Nov. 8: Earn $105-175

Home » Posts » Crime » This Article

See newly released secret video of Gardena cop shooting of unarmed man

Posted by Hillary Jackson on July 14, 2015 in Crime | 2,519 Views | Leave a response

Video made public after court order; via  LOS ANGELES TIMES 

A federal judge on Tuesday ordered the release of videos showing the fatal police shooting of an unarmed Gardena man, but the city is likely to seek an emergency stay.

U.S. District Judge Stephen Wilson ruled that police cruiser videos of the shooting should be unsealed after the Los Angeles Times, Associated Press and Bloomberg argued that strong public interest demands their release.

Judge Alex Kozinski issued an emergency stay of Wilson’s order until the matter could be heard by the 9th Circuit Court of Appeal, Gardena Police Department Chief Ed Medrano said.

However, the Los Angeles Times had already obtained the videos from the district court and posted them on YouTube and its website.

Gardena will continue its appeal “because we are concerned about the broader implications of this decision,” Medrano said.

“As our lawyers expressed in court, we have serious privacy concerns as it relates to the release of police videos in general,” Medrano said.

“Imagine the implications of criminals seeing and hearing everything victims and witnesses tell police officers, or victims being subjected to having their interactions with police broadcast on the news or posted on the Internet. Our police officers are entrusted with sensitive and extremely personal information and we often come in contact with people under tragic situations and at their worst.

“We worry about the implications of this decision and its impact on victims and average citizens who are recorded by the police.”.

The city filed the footage under seal in a federal civil rights lawsuit brought by Eutiquio Acevedo Mendez and relatives of Ricardo Diaz-Zeferino.

Diaz-Zeferino was gunned down on June, 2, 2013, after police responded to a call that a bicycle had been stolen from a nearby pharmacy and noticed two men riding bikes.

The victim approached the officers and attempted to explain that his brother had reported the bicycle stolen and that the two men were not thieves but his friends, according to the complaint.

The lawsuit alleges that police shot Diaz-Zeferino eight times and that he laid on the street, crying out in Spanish “Hasta aqui llegue’ or “This is the end of me.”

Gardena police maintained the shooting was justified because the victim was acting erratically and reached into his waistband despite a command to raise his hands.

Mendez suffered a gunshot wound and survived.

The city recently settled the lawsuit for $4.7 million.

“The events that night in 2013 were tragic for all involved,” Medrano said. “We continue to sympathize with the families and regret their loss. We have thoroughly reviewed our response and have initiated new training, including the tactical use of cover techniques to slow down fast-moving events. We will also soon equip all our police officers with body-worn cameras.

“Dash-cam videos and audio recorders are tools we have used for more than a decade to aid investigations and for monitoring the actions of our officers. In this case, our internal affairs division, the District Attorney’s Office, the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department and the families of Mr. Diaz-Zeferino and Mr. Acevedo and their lawyers had the ability to view the videos for their investigative purposes.

“The district attorney’s 14-page review of the shooting, which is public record, described in detail what was recorded on the videos. We have also settled a civil claim with the family. Thus, the criminal, civil and administrative cases are closed and our position is that everybody who needed to see the videos has had the opportunity to do so.”

— City News Service 

>> Want to read more stories like this? Get our Free Daily Newsletters Here!

Posted in Crime | Tagged Gardena, Gardena Police Department, Officer Involved Shooting, Spanish, U.S. District Judge Stephen Wilson

Related Posts

Police at the scene of the officer-involved shooting in Hollywood. Courtesy OnScene.TVMan with ‘bayonet-style weapon’ in Hollywood fatally shot→

Larry Flynt via wikimedia commonsNo luck for Larry Flynt: Sued over ‘Lucky Lady’ casino name→

Courtesy of LAPDSuspect killed in South Los Angeles officer-involved shooting→

LAPD patch. Photo by MyNewsLA.comSuspect killed in Boyle Heights officer-involved shooting, 14-year-old boy→

Photo by John Schreiber.County offers $10,000 reward in fatal shooting of 15-year-old→

Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department LASD CarLennox shooting leaves deputy wounded→

122015
On Site Aliso Canyon Storage Facility Natural Gas Leak; 
Photographer: Lance DeLaura
© 2015 Southern California Gas Company. Trademarks
are property of their respective owners. All rights reserved.Expect traffic near SoCalGas pipeline due to contruction→

A man stands near a mural for Ezell Ford  after the Los Angeles County Coroner released an autopsy report on the LAPD's shooting of Ford in Los Angeles in 2014.   REUTERS/Jonathan Alcorn2 LA cops who shot unarmed black man accuse city of discrimination→

News from idealmedia.com

Don’t Miss the News You Need!

Sign up here for our free newsletters. We'll send you the latest headlines every morning and every weekday afternoon. And we'll keep your email address safe and secure.

FORECAST FOR DOWNTOWN L.A.

Today Tuesday Wednesday
It is forecast to be Clear at 7:00 PM PDT on August 22, 2016
Clear
81°/62°
It is forecast to be Clear at 7:00 PM PDT on August 23, 2016
Clear
79°/64°
It is forecast to be Clear at 7:00 PM PDT on August 24, 2016
Clear
80°/64°
Complete Forecast      Current Temperatures

Most Popular Today

  • Drunk OC man killed after lying down in front of car Drunk OC man killed after lying down in front of car 3,243 views
  • Rapper ‘Kid Cali’ killed in shooting at Porter Ranch pool party Rapper ‘Kid Cali’ killed in shooting at Porter Ranch pool party 3,044 views
  • 2 motorcyclists killed in separate accidents in Trabuco Canyon 2 motorcyclists killed in separate accidents in Trabuco Canyon 2,209 views
  • Woman, 2 children crossing street killed by alleged drunk driver in Placentia Woman, 2 children crossing street killed by alleged drunk driver in Placentia 1,932 views
  • Motorcyclist, car collide in Malibu: One killed Motorcyclist, car collide in Malibu: One killed 1,541 views

©2016 CalNews Inc.

Menu

  • About
  • Staff
  • Contact
  • Advertise
  • FAQ
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Service