Photo by John Schreiber.
Photo by John Schreiber.

The Walt Disney Co. Tuesday donated $1 million to a fund benefiting victims of the mass shooting at a gay nightclub in Orlando, Florida.

“We are heartbroken by this tragedy and hope our commitment will help those in the community affected by this senseless act,” said Bob Chapek, chairman of Walt Disney Parks and Resorts. “With 74,000 cast members who call Orlando home, we mourn the loss of the victims and offer our condolences to their families, friends and loved ones.”

The donation was made to the OneOrlando Fund, which was established by Orlando Mayor Buddy Dyer to assist people affected by the weekend shooting at the Pulse nightclub that left 49 people dead, plus the gunman, who was shot by police. Another 53 people were wounded.

Disney officials said the company is also matching donations made by company employees. The company is also providing free accommodations for families and friends of victims in Orlando, which is home to the Walt Disney World Resort.

People magazine reported earlier that the gunman who carried out the mass shooting may have scouted out Disney World as a possible target.

— Wire reports 

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *