The Long Beach branch of the NAACP Thursday announced its list of Outstanding Men & Fathers for 2018.
The group will recognize these individuals at an event on Sunday in Long Beach for the vital role they play in society, according to branch President Naomi Rainey-Pierson.
The criteria for inclusion on the list included long-term service to the branch and community, support of social justice, documentation of leadership and dedication to family, charity, responsibility, fatherhood, mentoring, and civil rights, Rainey-Pierson said.
The 2018 Outstanding Men & Fathers are:
– Judge John Lawson, supervising judge of the Los Angeles County Juvenile Delinquency Court;
– J.T. Minor, senior strategist for academic success and inclusive excellence, California State University;
– Robin Perry, former deputy district attorney;
– Dr. Robert Nagourney, founder and medical director of the Nagourney Cancer Institute;
– Derrick Mims, senior adviser to Rep. Alan Lowenthal, D-Long Beach.
– Ron Nelson, executive director of the Long Beach Museum of Art;
– Steve Neal, founder of LIFE Gospel Ministries;
– Greg Keebler, general manager of Hilton Long Beach Hotel;
– Monte Beard, longtime Long Beach city employee;
– Alvin Hayes, saxophonist;
– John Malveaux, president of the Long Beach Central Area Association;
– David Zaid, director of employee relations and community engagement for the Long Beach Unified School District;
– Christopher Miller, high school band teacher in the Compton and Long Beach unified school districts;
– Frank Colonna, member, Long Beach Board of Harbor Commissioners;
– Forouzan Golshani, dean California State Long Beach College of Engineering;
– Wayne Chaney Sr., Long Beach Fire Department firefighter; and
– Chuckie Miller, former NFL player.
>> Want to read more stories like this? Get our Free Daily Newsletters Here!Follow us: