Firefighters used dry chemical extinguishers to make entry into an automotive business in Northridge Sunday and discovered that the source of billowing smoke was mechanical failure of a machine.

The fire at 18627 Parthenia St. was reported at 1:09 p.m., Los Angeles Fire Department spokesman Nicholas Prange said.

When firefighters arrived at the building they found a placard warning about hazards inside, Prange said. The placard also warned firefighters against using water and that’s why they used the dry chemical extinguishers, officials said.

The department dispatched 36 firefighters to the scene and declared a knockdown in about 14 minutes, Prange said.

Firefighters remained at the scene to air out the building and get rid of any potentially toxic fumes.

No injuries were reported.

The cause of the fire remained under investigation.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *