An emergency vehicle. Photo by John Schreiber.
An emergency vehicle. Photo by John Schreiber.

A 25-year-old woman found unconscious on the floor of her Alhambra residence may have died of carbon monoxide poisoning, police said Tuesday.

Police and paramedics were called to the 3100 block of Norwich Avenue at 12:10 p.m. Monday after the woman’s mother came home from a two-hour shopping trip and found her daughter unresponsive on the floor of their residence, said Sgt. Jerry Johnson of the Alhambra Police Department.

Monique Rivera was pronounced dead at the scene, said coroner’s Chief Craig Harvey. Harvey said an autopsy is scheduled for tomorrow, and the carbon monoxide poisoning theory might be determined then.

A necropsy is also scheduled tomorrow on the woman’s dog, which died at the scene.

Johnson said investigators were working to determine if a natural gas water heater in the kitchen may not have been vented properly, causing carbon monoxide fumes to be released into the home.

—City News Service

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.