Photo by John Schreiber.
Photo by John Schreiber.

An autopsy was scheduled for Thursday on the body of a woman found dead at the scene of an apartment fire in Westwood, authorities said.

UCLA’s Pi Beta Phi sorority said the victim was sorority member Andrea DelVesco.

The body was discovered after firefighters were sent at 7:05 a.m. Monday to the 10900 block of Roebling Avenue, on the first day of UCLA’s fall quarter, according to sorority members.

In a statement obtained by the Los Angeles Times, Jacquie Medeiros, president of the sorority’s UCLA chapter, said DelVesco was “a friend to every person she met…,” to whom she was known as “Andy.”

The victim has not been publicly identified by authorities. According to the coroner’s office, the death was being investigated as a possible homicide before the Los Angeles Police Department put a security hold on the case.

The badly burned body would likely require dental records to positively identify, authorities said.

The police investigation was continuing and details were not being released, LAPD spokesman Aareon Jefferson said.

The Daily Bruin, UCLA’s student newspaper, reported that DelVesco was entering her fourth year at UCLA and was studying psychology and Spanish.

According to NBC4, DelVesco was facing drug-related charges at the time of her death.

On July 8, she was arraigned on charges of possessing the drugs Ecstasy, LSD, methamphetamine and Psilocybin, and she pleaded not guilty, Channel 4 reported.

DelVesco had remained free on her own recognizance, and had been due to appear Friday at the Airport Courthouse to set a date for a preliminary hearing, according to Channel 4.

— City News Service