More than a half-dozen felony charges were filed Tuesday against a man accused of grabbing a hairstylist at a Van Nuys salon, dragging her to the back of the shop and raping her, in a crime that was captured on surveillance video.
Enrique Orozco, 30, of Van Nuys, pleaded not guilty to one count each of forcible rape, forcible oral copulation, attempted forcible oral copulation, attempted sodomy by use of force, kidnapping to commit rape, assault with intent to commit a felony and second-degree commercial burglary.
The case includes allegations of aggravated kidnapping and kidnapping during the commission of a burglary.
The woman was closing down the beauty salon for the day on March 29 when Orozco, who had been there earlier, returned, according to Deputy District Attorney Frederick Mesropi.
Orozco locked the door as the woman tried to walk him out, then dragged her to the back and raped her, the prosecutor alleged.
Los Angeles Police Department Lt. Jim Gavin said watching the video footage of the attack at Vanessa’s Beauty & Barber shop in the 14500 block of Vanowen Street was harrowing.
“In my 28 years, I’ll never forget this. This was shocking,” he said last week. “I had never imagined I would witness something like that based on video.”
Orozco, who was arrested late Thursday night by LAPD Robbery-Homicide Division detectives, was ordered held in jail in lieu of $2 million bail while awaiting an April 18 hearing to determine if there is sufficient evidence to require him to stand trial.
He faces up to 50 years to life in state prison if convicted, according to the District Attorney’s Office.
—City News Service