Authorities Thursday blamed a fire that critically burned two men and badly damaged a Sun Valley home on a butane explosion caused by the production of “honey oil” being extracted from marijuana.
The men were discovered around 3:50 p.m. Wednesday across the street from the house at 8366 Glencrest Drive in critical condition with second- and third-degree burns, said Brian Humphrey of the Los Angeles Fire Department.
It was unclear how the two men arrived there, Humphrey said. One was a 38-year-old man with burns over 46 percent of his body, and the other was a 20- year-old man who had burns over 56 percent of his body.
Firefighters said there was evidence of explosive damage that compromised the 66-year-old home prior to their arrival. Electric wires leading to the one-story structure were dangling from a utility pole, Humphrey said.
Firefighters had the fire out within 34 minutes of their arrival, Humphrey said. The fire was confined to the home’s garage and attic.
The explosion remains the focus of a joint investigation by the LAFD’s Arson/Counter-Terrorism Section and the Los Angeles Interagency Metropolitan Police Apprehension Crime Task Force, Humphrey said.
—City News Service
>> Want to read more stories like this? Get our Free Daily Newsletters Here!Follow us: