Photo by John Schreiber.
Photo by John Schreiber.

A Pasadena Police officer acted lawfully in shooting a man who had fired at him during a foot chase last April, according to a document released Thursday by the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office.

The District Attorney’s Office noted in a nine-page memorandum that Officer Omar Elhosseiny returned fire and struck Francisco Flores once in the back after Flores began shooting behind him in Elhosseiny’s direction during the April 8, 2016, foot pursuit, which ended on North Los Robles Avenue near Buckeye Street.

“We conclude that Officer Elhosseiny acted lawfully in the reasonable belief that self-defense was warranted,” according to the memorandum sent by the District Attorney’s Office to Pasadena police Chief Phillip L. Sanchez.

Elhosseiny chased after Flores — who was a passenger in a silver Ford Mustang that was being chased by police — when he ran from the vehicle, according to the document.

“While holding the handgun in his right hand, Flores placed his right hand over his left shoulder, looked back at Elhosseiny, and fired one time at him. Elhosseiny saw the muzzle flash of the handgun as it fired. Elhosseiny returned fire, continuing to shoot his weapon until it was out of ammunition. Flores continued to shoot at Elhosseiny,” according to the document.

Flores — who was armed with a 9 mm firearm from which three or four shots had been fired — suffered internal damage to his left lung, left kidney, stomach and renal system, and a single bullet was extracted from his lower left back area, according to the District Attorney’s Office. A forensic examination of Flores’ black T-shirt also detected numerous particles consistent with gunshot residue, according to the document.

No officers were injured.

Flores pleaded no contest to assault with a firearm upon a peace officer and was sentenced last month to 34 years in state prison, according to court records.

The Mustang’s driver was arrested later that day. He subsequently pleaded guilty to one felony count of evading and was sentenced to 90 days in county jail and three years probation, according to the District Attorney’s Office.

—City News Service

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.