A Los Angeles Police Department officer was convicted Friday of two felony assault counts involving an off-duty run-in with a man in El Segundo nearly two years ago, but was acquitted of charges involving two other men during the confrontation.

The six-man, six-woman jury deliberated about 3 1/2 hours before finding Joseph William Rooney, 34, guilty of two counts of assault with a firearm stemming from the May 22, 2016 confrontation in the 100 block of Main Street, along with allegations that he had personally used a handgun.

The downtown Los Angeles panel acquitted him of two counts of assault with a firearm involving the two other men.

Rooney — who testified in his own defense — described the confrontation as a “minor fight” in which he had his phone in his hand. He denied striking the victim with a gun or even having a gun with him.

He told jurors he “couldn’t believe what they were trying to allege what I did” when he was called in for questioning by El Segundo police about what he described as “honestly a 30-second dust-up.”

“I’m being accused of a crime that is something I would never do. This is a life-changing moment at this point,” Rooney told jurors, noting that he has been on administrative leave from the LAPD for nearly two years.

In his closing argument Thursday, Deputy District Attorney Oscar Plascencia reminded jurors of a comment he had made in his opening statement, in which he had told the panel, “This is a case about a bully with a gun who just happened to be an LAPD officer.”

The prosecutor told jurors that there was “overwhelming evidence” that the off-duty officer pointed a gun at the man and then pistol-whipped him in the face. The other two men also alleged that Rooney had pointed a gun at them.

Plascencia questioned what motive the three men would have to lie about the encounter, noting that they had never met Rooney before, didn’t know he was a police officer and haven’t filed any civil lawsuits.

Defense attorney Bill Seki urged jurors to acquit his client, questioning why the men waited nearly 36 hours to notify police instead of immediately calling them. He asked jurors whether it was unreasonable to believe that Rooney was holding his cell phone, not a gun, during the fracas.

At a hearing last year in which Rooney was ordered to stand trial, an El Segundo police officer who took statements from the three men testified that each of the men recalled Rooney walking up and down the street and provoking them, though each recalled his words differently.

Superior Court Judge Kathleen Kennedy allowed Rooney to remain free on $200,000 bond while awaiting sentencing June 7, despite the prosecution’s request that he be taken into custody after the verdict.

The judge ordered Rooney not to have any contact with any of the witnesses and not to have any firearms in his possession.

Rooney is facing a maximum of 18 years and four months in state prison, according to the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office.

But Rooney’s attorney said he plans to ask the judge to sentence his client to probation.

“I don’t think this is a state prison case,” Seki said after the verdict.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.