A Los Angeles man was sentenced Friday to 15 years to life in state prison for a hit-and-run crash last year in South Los Angeles that killed a ride-hailing driver and seriously injured her passenger.

Superior Court Judge Curtis B. Rappe imposed the term on Kevin Moran, 25, who was convicted March 13 of one count each of second-degree murder, hit-and-run driving resulting in death to another person and hit-and-run driving resulting in injury to another person.

The charges stemmed from a Jan. 14, 2017 crash that killed Folesha Parker-Iverson, 52, and seriously injured her passenger, Terrance Fitch, at the intersection of Arlington Avenue and Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard.

Sharon Luke told the judge that she remembered her last conversation with her sister as the two planned a weekend getaway to Nevada. They said they missed each other, and her sister told her that she would see her the following day.

“That was a tomorrow that never came,” the victim’s sister said. “There’s never a day that I don’t miss her.”

One of the victim’s daughters, Chales Parker, said she is still in denial about what happened to her mother.

She told the defendant that he would have loved her mother if he had known her.

“I know she would have changed your life for the better,” the 23-year-old woman said.

In her opening statement during the trial, Deputy District Attorney Leslie Hinshaw told jurors that they would hear expert testimony that Moran was traveling at an estimated 51 mph in the 35 mph zone as he entered the intersection. She cited Moran’s “complete and conscious disregard for human life,” telling jurors that he was “speeding” and “weaving in and out” before the deadly crash.

Los Angeles Police Department Sgt. Mike Richardson testified that he was called to the intersection at about 3:30 a.m. the day of the crash and that firefighters were not able to get Parker-Iverson out of her blue Honda Accord after the crash and had to pronounce her dead at the scene. She was subsequently extracted from the car after a representative from the Los Angeles County Coroner’s Office arrived, he said.

Her passenger, Fitch, told jurors that he spent six months immobilized and recently got out of a neck brace.

“I had to teach myself to walk all over again,” he said.

Fitch testified that he moved in with his grandfather at a handicap-accessible home and that “we were moving at the same speed.”

Moran was arrested by the LAPD’s South Traffic Division hours after the crash, and has remained behind bars since then.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.