Nick Carter of the Backstreet Boys won’t face any criminal charges over a woman’s allegations that he raped her in 2003.
According to a charge-evaluation worksheet dated Monday, the District Attorney’s Office noted that the statute of limitations for the alleged assault expired in 2013, therefore the case was declined.
Santa Monica police turned over their report on the allegations to the District Attorney’s Office in early August.
Singer Melissa Schuman went public last year with accusations that Carter sexually assaulted her in a bathroom and a bedroom when she was 18 years old and a member of the girl group Dream. She filed a report with Santa Monica police in February.
Carter has denied the allegations, saying he was “shocked and saddened” by the accusations and insisting that Schuman had never expressed to him “that anything we did was not consensual.”
Schuman told KNX Newsradio that she knew the statute of limitations made it unlikely charges would be filed, but is still glad she came forward.
“It was the scariest thing I’ve ever done but … I’m better for it,” she said. “I’m free … I’ve gotten my voice back.”
>> Want to read more stories like this? Get our Free Daily Newsletters Here!Follow us: