A gang member pleaded guilty Thursday to voluntary manslaughter and was immediately sentenced to 11 years in prison for his part in a shooting that claimed the life of one man and nearly killed another victim who confronted graffiti vandals in an unincorporated area near Anaheim four years ago.

Edgar Ramirez, 25, of Anaheim, accepted a plea deal from prosecutors in exchange for the dismissal of one count each of murder and attempted murder, along with sentencing enhancements for gang crimes.

Ramirez reached the plea bargain after a jury failed to reach verdicts in his case in May, prompting Orange County Superior Court Richard King to declare a mistrial. Ramirez was given credit for 1,412 days served behind bars awaiting trial.

Co-defendant David Steven Ortega, 36, of Chino, was sentenced June 14 to life in prison without the possibility of parole, plus 57 years to life, for killing 51-year-old David Bruce Douglas and wounding John Anderson, then 39, on July 19, 2015, at Poona Drive and Lullaby Lane.

Ramirez ran to get help from fellow gang members around the corner before shots rang out, Deputy District Attorney Chris Alex told jurors in the pair’s trial.

Douglas and Anderson, who lived nearby, were chatting in Douglas’ driveway about 9:45 p.m. after returning from a camping trip when they saw two men spray-painting gang graffiti on property on the block, Alex said.

When the two, along with another neighbor, asked the vandals what they were doing, the two men walked away, Alex said. Douglas and Anderson followed them, with Douglas at some point getting his SUV, Alex said.

One of the vandals “ducked in a bush” and emerged with a bandana masking his face, the prosecutor said. Anderson got into a loud argument with the man while the other man quickly left the scene.

The masked suspect told Anderson to mind his own business and said, “I own this neighborhood,” Alex said.

Douglas rolled up in his SUV and Anderson jumped in as the masked suspect produced a gun and approached the vehicle, Alex said. Another man blocked the path of the SUV while Ortega opened fire, according to the prosecutor.

Anderson was shot three times, including in the head, Alex said, and Douglas sustained a gunshot wound through the throat.

Investigators linked Ortega and Ramirez to the shooting through the freshly painted graffiti, which Alex said included their gang nicknames, Termite and Bounce, along with surveillance video from residences in the area, a tattoo on Ortega’s arm, witness observations of men running to and from the crime scene and phone records.

Investigators suspect Ramirez ran to a gathering around the corner and two other men returned to the conflict, where Ortega opened fire on the victims, Alex said.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.