Orange County’s coronavirus cases jumped from 152 on Tuesday to 187 Wednesday.

Orange County health officials on Tuesday announced the county’s first death from COVID-19.

The 75-year-old man, whose name was not released, was hospitalized March 17 and died two days later. Doctors tested him for COVID-19 while treating him, but the test results were not received by Orange County officials until Tuesday.

“I am deeply saddened to announce that last night we got our first death to coronavirus in Orange County,” Board of Supervisors Chairwoman Michelle Steel said at a news conference on Wednesday. “Our thoughts and prayers are with this man, his family and loved ones.”

Orange County’s number of confirmed COVID-19 cases increased by 27 on Tuesday to 152, and another 35 on Wednesday to bring the total to 187.

Of the total, 62 cases were contracted by residents while traveling, 17 by person-to-person spread and 57 were “community acquired,” according to Orange County Public Health officials. Fifty-one are under investigation as to how the patients were infected.

The male-female ratio is 117 to 70. The hardest-hit age range is 18 to 49, with 101 cases; 54 cases involved individuals 50 to 64 years old; and 31 patients are 65 and older. One is a child.

There have been 2,442 people tested, leaving county officials with enough tests for 1,328 people.

Rep. Katie Porter, D-Irvine, is among those awaiting test results. The first-term congresswoman announced on social media that she developed “cold-like symptoms” last week, called her doctor and was tested for COVID-19.

Porter, who posted a photo of herself wearing a surgical mask, said she would remain quarantined until she’s given the clearance by her doctor to leave the house.

“I am participating by telephone in congressional business and listening to the concerns of our Orange County community,” Porter wrote, adding that her children are so far healthy and “handling things well.”

At the Men’s Central Jail in Santa Ana, Orange County sheriff’s deputies are closely monitoring all of the inmates, guards and other personnel who came into contact with a prisoner who tested positive on Tuesday for coronavirus, the first inmate stricken with the disease in the county.

The man, who is in his 40s, began exhibiting “moderate symptoms” on Tuesday morning and was placed in isolation, Orange County Sheriff Don Barnes said. The inmate has not required hospitalization.

Sheriff’s officials have an electronic-card system that can trace the inmate’s movements so they can see who he has been in contact with, said department spokeswoman Carrie Braun, who said six inmates are awaiting test results and are in isolation.

The inmate who tested positive was booked on June 17, 2018, on suspicion of child endangerment, torture, false imprisonment and assault with a deadly weapon, Braun said. He was last in court on his case March 9.

Test results of eight other inmates recently came back negative, Braun said.

Barnes announced on March 13 that he would shut down visitation at the jails. The sheriff said arrests were down 10%, about 500 below what the rate was two weeks ago.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *