A jury is expected to be sworn in Wednesday for the trial of a felon accused of sexually assaulting an underage relative over several years in Indio.

Gregory Galvan Medina, 49, of Indio was arrested Sept. 28, 2018, on suspicion of sexually abusing the young girl between July 2012 and September 2018 — when the girl was between 7 and 13 years old.

Medina is charged with one count each of aggregated sexual assault of a child and sodomy by force on a victim under 14 years old, and six counts of lewd acts with a child under 14 years old.

The allegations involve a young girl identified only in court papers as “Jane Doe.” The abuse allegedly began when she was in sixth grade and continued on a daily basis for several years, according to prosecutors.

Medina faces up to 38 years to life in state prison if convicted as charged, according to prosecutors.

Panels of prospective jurors began filing into the Larson Justice Center in Indio last week. Opening statements are slated to begin Thursday given a jury is sworn in Wednesday, prosecutors said.

According to Deputy District Attorney Melissa Moore, the allegations came to light when the victim told a male friend of hers on Snapchat about the abuse. The girl sent her friend pictures of a hickey that she said the defendant gave her. The boy then told his mother, who called the Indio Police Department.

The girl told prosecutors the defendant began touching her inappropriately at the age of 7, and by age 11, he began raping her, according to court papers.

Once confronted by police, Medina allegedly admitted to the abuse, saying he was sick in the head for what he did, according to court papers. “Tell her I’m sorry,” the defendant allegedly told an investigator, the documents say.

Medina has felony convictions that include battery on a peace officer, child abuse and embezzlement.

He remains held at the Smith Correctional Facility in Banning on $500,000 bail.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.