A Los Angeles man accused of stabbing a transient during a fight in Beverly Hills was released from jail Tuesday after the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office cited insufficient evidence to file a case against him.
In a charge evaluation worksheet, a prosecutor noted that a nearby hotel does not have any cameras in the courtyard area where a security guard saw two men fighting and that without corroboration, it was a “he said/he said” in which the “injuries could have arguably been caused” if Lawrence Anthony Lawson was defending himself.
Police responded to 200 N. Beverly Drive, near Wilshire Boulevard, about 1:45 a.m. last Thursday in connection with reports of an unresponsive man who had been found suffering from multiple stab wounds, according to Cpt. Max Subin of the Beverly Hills Police Department. That man was taken to a hospital.
At roughly the same time, Los Angeles Fire Department personnel responded to a medical aid call, a little more than a mile from the location, police said.
Lawson reported that he had been injured in Beverly Hills, and he was subsequently arrested on suspicion of attempted murder, according to police.