Two men and a woman were in custody Thursday in connection with the killing of a houseless individual. Photo courtesy of Zoka74 on Shutterstock

Felony charges may be filed later this week against a 41-year-old Menifee woman suspected of fleeing with her two children during a child custody exchange and leading law enforcement officers on a pursuit into Mexico, where she eluded capture for one night before she was arrested.

Kathryn Rose Broersma was taken into custody Sunday morning at the San Ysidro border crossing in San Diego County. Broersma was booked into the Robert Presley Jail in Riverside on suspicion of violation of a court order, child endangerment and violation of a court-mandated custody decree. She’s being held on $35,000 bail.

The Menifee Police Department was expected to submit the case to the Riverside County District Attorney’s Office for review. The earliest charges might be filed is Thursday.

According to Menifee police Capt. Heriberto Gutierrez, about 7 p.m. Saturday, Broersma met with relatives of her former partner in the 29000 block of Antelope Road, near Wendover Road, to return her 6- and 8-year-old kids to their father.

Gutierrez alleged that after the children were situated in the relatives’ vehicle, Broersma jumped behind the wheel and sped away, prompting immediate calls to 911.

“Family members were able to track the suspect via her cell phone, and she was located in the area of the Interstate 215/60 freeway (interchange),” the captain said.

He said that sheriff’s deputies signaled the suspect to pull over, but she refused, “and a vehicle pursuit ensued.”

“The vehicle traveled into the San Diego area, where officers of the Escondido Police Department took over the pursuit,” Gutierrez said. “The suspect was able to evade officers when she crossed the border and entered into Mexico.”

No effort was made to track the vehicle in Tijuana.

Gutierrez said that U.S. Customs and Border Protection agents were alerted to the alleged parental abduction and advised that Broersma might attempt to re-enter the country, which she did on Sunday morning.

The captain said that agents stopped her vehicle at the border crossing about 8 a.m. and took the suspect into custody without incident. The children, who were uninjured, were returned to their father the same day.

Background information on Broersma was unavailable.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *