Five men were wounded this evening, one critically, when an altercation at a barbecue escalated into a shooting at a San Pedro beach.
The shooting was reported at 5:45 p.m. at Paseo Del Mar and Graysby Avenue, according to Los Angeles Police Department Officer Warren Moore.
Two suspects reportedly approached the men and an altercation ensued that led to the shooting, police said.
The shooting occurred at Royal Palms Beach, according to a tweet by Los Angeles County Supervisor Janice Hahn, who issued a statement with Los Angeles City Councilman Tim McOskergoing.
“We’re outraged and saddened by the shooting at Royal Palms Beach in San Pedro that has left five people injured. It’s tragically ironic that today we hosted a gun buy-back event just a few miles away from this location. Gun violence is wreaking havoc on our community,” Hahn said.
“Royal Palms Beach will be closed (Sunday) and going forward earlier on weekends as we work on plans together to ensure safety and peaceful community use,” she said.
Four of the wounded men were taken to hospitals by paramedics, Moore said. One victim was taken to a hospital in a private vehicle.
One victim was in critical condition and the other four had stable vital signs, police said.
The LAPD confirmed the shootings were the result of an altercation.
The two suspects fled the scene in a silver sedan, police said.