The downtrend in COVID-positive hospitalizations in Riverside County has hit a bump in the road, with a slight uptick in overall hospitalizations, while an additional 35 virus-related deaths have been reported.

According to numbers released Thursday by the Riverside University Health System, coronavirus hospitalizations currently number 303, up two from Wednesday, and that includes 68 intensive care unit patients — five less than a day ago.

RUHS said the aggregate number of COVID-19 cases recorded since the public health documentation period began in March 2020 is 290,774 — 246 more than reported Wednesday.

Officials said there have been a total 3,884 deaths from virus-related complications in the last 12 months, compared to 3,849 confirmed on Wednesday. The fatalities are trailing indicators because of delays processing death certificates.

ICU bed availability countywide remains at 12%, still below the 15% threshold that prompted Gov. Gavin Newsom’s Dec. 6 regional stay-at-home order, which was canceled in the latter part of January. Most ICU patients in the county are not infected with COVID, according to RUHS. An update on ICU bed capacity is expected Friday.

The number of known active virus cases countywide is 8,920, down 588 compared to Wednesday. The active count is derived by subtracting deaths and recoveries from the current total — 290,744 — according to the county Executive Office. Verified patient recoveries countywide are now at 277,940.

The state-adjusted infection rate of 11.3 per 100,000 residents prompted a removal Tuesday of prohibitions against youth and adult sports, including baseball, football, soccer and water polo. The threshold is 14 per 100,000 residents. Last week, the county was at 16.6 per 100,000. Weekly testing for players and coaches is one of the provisions established by the California Department of Public Health for participation in contact sports. More information is available at www.rivcoph.org/coronavirus.

On Monday, the Corona-Norco Unified School District re-commenced in-person classes for students in transitional kindergarten to sixth grade under a waiver authorized by the county and state, based on moderating infection rates. Additional school districts are expected to follow this month.

Officials said vaccination of seniors continues to be a priority, but others who qualify under the CDPH Phase 1 guidelines include hospital workers, first responders, food service workers, teachers and some agricultural workers. RUHS Dr. Geoffrey Leung said the guidelines will soon be adjusted to include “those who are 18 to 64 with underlying medical conditions.”

The portal to make an appointment for vaccination can be accessed via www.rivcoph.org/COVID-19-Vaccine. Anyone who needs assistance may also call the county’s 211 help line.

The countywide COVID-19 positivity rate is 5.8%, down from 7.6% last week, according to RUHS data.

The county is still in the most restrictive, purple tier of the governor’s Blueprint for a Safer Economy framework, impacting bars, theaters, museums, indoor recreational facilities and wineries — all of which are supposed to remain closed. However wineries, like restaurants, can provide outdoor dining, takeout and delivery.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *