A candlelight vigil was scheduled this evening to honor the 9-year-old girl killed when an 87-year-old man allegedly struck a group of children in Desert Hot Springs, injuring three others.

Robert Hanson is accused of rear-ending a school bus around 4 p.m. Thursday in the 17500 block of Corkill Road while driving a white Cadillac sedan, according to California Highway Patrol officer David Torres.

After the crash, Hanson allegedly drove around the bus, veering onto the right shoulder of southbound Corkill Road, hitting a speed limit sign and plowing into four young students walking on the shoulder, Torres said.

Monica Gonzalez Guzman, 9, of Desert Hot Springs died and three other students suffered varying injuries, Torres said. No injuries were reported among the students on the bus.

Hanson and the injured victims were taken to Desert Regional Medical Center for treatment.

Hanson was later booked into the John Benoit Detention Center in Indio on suspicion of vehicular manslaughter and hit-and-run causing death before posting $75,000 bail on Friday. He is tentatively set to appear in court on Feb. 17 at the Larson Justice Center, according to jail records.

KESQ reported the children are students at Julius Corsini Elementary School. A parent who went to the scene of the crash Thursday told the station there are no sidewalks along Corkill, and students are forced to walk along the shoulder of the roadway.

“It is overwhelming to hear and process this kind of tragic news,” Palm Springs Unified School District Superintendent Mike Swize said in a statement. “We want our families and staff to know that we are here for them to provide any support they need now or in the coming days and weeks ahead. All of us at Palm Springs Unified extend our heartfelt condolences at this most difficult time.”

The investigation into the crash was continuing, but authorities said drugs and alcohol were not factors.

A vigil for Guzman was scheduled for 6 p.m. Saturday on Corkill Road, where the crash occurred, according to a GoFundMe page set up by the family to help with funeral costs. More than $12,700 had been raised as of Saturday evening.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.