Embattled L.A. City Councilman Kevin de León does not plan to resign from his position despite widespread calls to step down, he told two media outlets Wednesday.

De León conducted interviews with Univision and CBS2, and said that he will not step down over his involvement in the City Hall racism scandal despite calls for his resignation from President Joe Biden to nearly all of his colleagues.

“I’ve always been up against many, many challenges,” de León told CBS2. “And obviously, this is the biggest one I’ve ever been confronted with in my life.”

The councilman said the city needs to heal and he “wants to be part of that.”

The October 2021 conversation between de León and fellow council members Nury Martinez and Gil Cedillo and Ron Herrera, president of the L.A. County Federation of Labor, included racist comments and discussions over favorable redistricting, and led to Martinez resigning her council presidency and later her council seat last week.

“I’m not going to mince words,” de León said. “I’m not going to deflect blame. I’m not going to defend the defenseless.”

De León and Cedillo have been under mounting pressure to resign since the release of the tape Oct. 9.

“I will not resign because there’s a lot of work ahead,” de León said in Spanish to Univision. “There’s a lot of work that we have to face. The crisis that is happening in the district, the infections, the unemployment, the threat to eviction, the humanitarian crisis of the homeless.”

He added that he felt “very bad and embarrassed for the hurt, for the wounds that exist today in our communities.”

“I’m very sorry. I’m sorry and for that I ask for apologies from my people, to my community, for the pain that my hurtful words caused from that day a year ago.”

Speaking to CBS2, de León said that he will “find out” whether his colleagues and others will be receptive to his attempts to mend the divide.

“That’s going to be hard,” de León said. “It’s not going to be easy and I know that.”

The councilman said he called Councilman Mike Bonin — whose 2-year-old Black son was the target of a racial slur by Martinez — to apologize and left a voice mail. He planned to apologize at last Tuesday’s council meeting, but said it was difficult because protesters forced him to leave the meeting.

Neither he nor Cedillo have attended a meeting since.

De León said that when he compared Bonin’s handling of his son at a Martin Luther King Jr. Day Parade to “when Nury brings her little yard bag or the Louis Vuitton bag,” he was making a comment directed at Martinez’s “penchant for having luxury accessories” and not at Bonin’s family.

De León also claimed he told Cedillo in the hallway after the meeting that he was shocked at Martinez’s language.

When asked whether his decision to not step down was selfish, de León said that it wasn’t about him, and pivoted to the needs of District 14.

De León, 55, has been on the council since 2020 and made an unsuccessful run for mayor this year. He previously served in the state Senate and Assembly

“I failed to step up and shut down a conversation,” de León said. “The words that were incendiary, words that were painfully hurtful. And I didn’t do that. And I’m sorry to the city of L.A. for not stepping up, and being a leader that they expect me to be.”

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *