Free watch parties for the broadcasts of Tuesday’s U.S.-Iran World Cup game will be at LA Live downtown and several other locations.

Doors to Tom’s Watch Bar will open at 8 a.m. for the party organized by the Los Angeles Galaxy. The opening of the bar will coincide with the likely start of the second halves of the Group A games between Netherlands and Qatar and Ecuador and Senegal.

Watch parties are also being organized by various chapters of American Outlaws, a nationwide support group for the U.S. men’s and women’s national soccer teams. They will be at Lopez & Lefty’s in Anaheim; Arrow Lodge Brewing in Covina; The Surly Goat in Encino; Underdogs Sports Bar in Glendale; Underground Pub & Grill in Hermosa Beach and Legends Sports Bar in Long Beach.

The game will begin at 11 a.m. and be broadcast by in English by Fox and in Spanish by Telemundo.

The game is the last for both teams in Group B play. The U.S. needs a victory to advance to the round of 16. Iran would advance with a victory. It would also advance with a tie if Wales does not defeat England in Tuesday’s other Group B game.

The U.S. enters Tuesday’s play third in the four-team group with two points on a 1-1 tie with Wales Nov. 21 and a 0-0 tie with England Friday. Iran is second with three points for its 2-0 victory over Wales Friday. Iran lost its opener to England, 6-2, Nov. 21.

Teams receive three points for a victory, one point for a tie and none for a loss.

The U.S. is 16th in the rankings compiled by FIFA, soccer’s international governing body. Iran is ranked 20th.

The ABC News-owned data prediction website FiveThirtyEight.com gives the U.S. a 38% chance of winning, Iran a 31% chance with a 31% chance of the game ending in a tie.

The U.S. is 0-1-1 against Iran. The Americans lost 2-1 in the 1998 World Cup when they lost all three of their games to finish last in the 32-team field. The teams played to a 1-1 tie in an exhibition at the Rose Bowl on Jan. 17, 2000.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *