Former rap mogul Suge Knight was back in jail Wednesday after being released from a hospital.
Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Deputy Trina Schrader said Knight was transferred sometime before 9 p.m. Wednesday.
Knight, 49, the co-founder of Death Row Records, is being held without bail after pleading not guilty at a court hearing Tuesday in Compton to murder and attempted murder charges relating to a fatal hit-and-run on Jan. 29.
He was hospitalized for treatment of reported chest pains after the hearing. The name of the hospital had not been disclosed.
Knight is due back in Compton Superior Court Monday morning for a bail review hearing, during which defense attorney David Kenner will ask a judge to review the revocation of the $2 million bail initially granted in the case. Bail was revoked by a court commissioner on grounds that he is “a possible flight risk” and a three-strikes candidate. The Sheriff’s Department added that “possible witness intimidation issues and a criminal past” were also factors.
The hit-and-run occurred around 2:55 p.m. Thursday, Jan. 29, in the parking lot of Tam’s Burgers in the 1200 block of West Rosecrans Avenue near Central Avenue. Knight allegedly drove his pickup truck backward and forward, killing Terry Carter, 55, and injuring 51-year-old Cle Stone, who was treated at a hospital.
Knight’s attorney at the time, James Blatt, confirmed Knight was behind the wheel of the pickup that struck the men but said he acted out of fear in trying to escape from as many as four people who attacked him. Blatt also claimed that Knight had been unaware that he hit two men with the pickup, which was later found in a Westwood parking lot.
Kenner also said his client was acting in self-defense.
The complaint against Knight, who could be incarcerated for life if convicted of the charges he now faces, includes an allegation that he committed a serious and violent felony while out on bail in an unrelated robbery case, as well as use of a deadly weapon and causing great bodily injury allegations. Knight has prior convictions, making this a third-strike case, according to the complaint.
—City News Service