Lance Armstrong’s day of reckoning has been delayed until May. That means he can hold onto what remains of his wealth until at least mid-2018.“The U.S. government’s $100 million civil fraud trial against … Armstrong has been delayed six months, from November to May, after a federal judge on Friday granted Armstrong’s request to postpone it,” said USA Today.
The disgraced cyclist, banned for doping and stripped of his Tour de France titles, said last week: “I am confident I am not liable under any theory articulated by plaintiffs and hope that this matter can be tried as soon as possible. But plaintiffs’ allegations are serious, and I want the counsel of my choice representing me at trial. That is Mr.[John] Keker and Mr. [Elliot] Peters together.”
Brent Schrotenboer of USA Today says the delay means trial will start about five years after the government filed suit against Armstrong — and more than 14 years after key incidents in the case took place.
“The government is suing Armstrong on behalf the U.S. Postal Service after the Postal Service paid $32.3 million to sponsor Armstrong’s cycling team from 2000 to 2004,” he wrote. “The government said the Postal Service never would have paid that if it had known the team was using performance-enhancing drugs and blood transfusions to cheat in races — all in violation of the team’s sponsorship contract.”
Velonews said his attorney, Keker, first sought a change in trial date in February 2017, noting that he had a conflict, but that request was denied.
“Unlike that initial request, the plaintiffs in the case, the U.S. Government and Floyd Landis, did not oppose Armstrong’s latest request to delay,” Velonews said.
>> Want to read more stories like this? Get our Free Daily Newsletters Here!Follow us: