The beauty is that Benson got a newsy reaction from Couric.
“I’m annoyed, hurt, disappointed,” Benson posted Thursday to an old Couric photo of herself with daughter Carrie, now about 21.
“You are right though. Jesus would forgive and I guess [you] should too. But no accountability. Nothing. Hours and Hours and Hours and believing that he is a good person is well heartbreaking. And deceiving. At the end of the day this viewer feels very deceived.”
By replying, Couric made headlines by making her first public statement on Lauer losing his NBC job amid sex accusations.
Couric replied to Benson: “it’s incredibly upsetting and I will say something when I’m ready to. Thanks for your interest.”
Benson was blown away by the direct address, posting: “thank you! Wow!!”
Over the ensuing hours, Benson was blasted as being too harsh on her hero.
But the married mother of three gave as good as she got:
- candacetaylorbenson@cresshill maybe so. But I watched the Today Show every morning of my life for 20 years. Columbine, 911, all the BIG stories, Katie and Matt were there. I’ll quit trolling. I have car pools to run and kids to feed. I appreciate her response though.
- candacetaylorbenson@kurstenjurs I’m not attacking her. I’m asking for her reaction. She certainly would. As I’ve heard Katie always say, ask the tough questions! And I will. America deserves to hear from her.
- candacetaylorbenson@franila Typical- oh that’s right you support Bill and Hillary. Bill wrote the manual for how to treat women. In fact, I’m sure he and Matt could have an great time talking about all the FUN they’ve had. 👍just ask Monica.
- candacetaylorbenson@stacybarnesscott katie is journalist. She is can handle my question for comment and I appreciate her response.
- candacetaylorbenson@cresshill Katie would ask the tough question! I’m journalist wanna be at heart. Majored in it before changing to business—She UNDERSTANDS or she wouldn’t have responded.
- candacetaylorbenson@hullibby I’m sorry you don’t like my response. I was genuinely shocked she responded and greatly appreciated her response. And calling her out? Ha! She made a fat living for YEARS by calling people out. She appreciated the emotion and question or she wouldn’t have responded. I adore Katie. I can name 10 quotes from her one of which ask the tough questions.
- candacetaylorbenson@suzymcczimm it’s about trust. And that’s what all those shows want—your faith and trust. She appreciated the question or she wouldn’t have responded. She seeks truth and understanding and I was only doing the same. I’m sorry if my initial comment seemed raw.
- candacetaylorbenson@dstogs_photography proudly. I do have nerve and I will stand strong and ask the tough questions for victims and women all over the world. I’m not afraid of you or this board. Be fierce! @therealgretchencarlson
- candacetaylorbenson@amandaj827 she knows she does or she wouldn’t have responded. Viewers and journalist have a relationship. With TRUST being at the center.
- candacetaylorbenson@_challengeyourself_change she does or she wouldn’t have responded. The only embarrassment here is Matt Lauer and the top execs that covered it up. I’m a fan of Katie, just heartbroken at the whole situation and the lack of accountability. That’s all. But thanks for dogging me. I’m sure you are a great guy 🤔🙄
- candacetaylorbenson@lindadstout60 just because I love Jesus doesn’t make me brainless. I don’t have venom. I have QUESTIONS. But no venom here. Simply wondering what all of Those who loved Katie, Matt, Al and Ann are thinking—–and how terribly disgraceful and to use Katie’s comment incredibly upsetting this is for all those involved including the loyal viewers.
- candacetaylorbenson@malone59 no judging here.
- candacetaylorbenson@karenhillegassbryant thank u for explaining to me what journalism is—I seem to have forgotten since all those I TRUSTED are now creeps including those at Fox and CBS.
- candacetaylorbenson@hellodarlin80 they aren’t family? Katie, Matt, Al and Ann? The first on your TV? American’s first family🤔could have swore I heard that somewhere.
- candacetaylorbenson@wsmarken1 you’re right. I should just look the other way. Forgive and forget. That’s right. Just like all the execs did for NBC allllll those years. Thanks for the advice. I’ll work that and my Mom skills.
- candacetaylorbenson@tampabayaaa really? I’m standing up for women and now I’m a hag that doesn’t deserve my children. 😂👍good one
- candacetaylorbenson@dawn148766 kick her? The only people that have been kicked are the victims and the lack of leadership at NBC news. You don’t scare me. And I’m sorry you are offended I’m a CHRISTIAN. I am. I love Jesus and realize he was the only perfect person. But that doesn’t take away my hurt and disappoint as a viewer. Hope you have zofran from your barfing 😂👍
- candacetaylorbenson@sharonboonehulley I agree- Matt got fired, so the current leadership “judged” him as being unfit to sit in the chair. The emotions I’m feeling are what they are. Disgusted, and sickened but all these Katie loyalist are fighting for their girl. When the really people who need voice are the ones Lauer took Advantage of. I’m sure she’s upset. And I hate it for her. But at the end of the day I’m not backing down to a bunch of punks who patronize people like all these people on her page. I made an emotional comment this morning after reading some awful reports on him. Right is right and in this case, the right thing to do is for her to make a statement. Now if anyone has something to say to me—how about this don’t. Let’s just agree to disagree.
The original post:
>> Want to read more stories like this? Get our Free Daily Newsletters Here!Follow us: