Real estate scion Robert Durst’s Los Angeles murder trial — which has been sidelined for a year as a result of the coronavirus pandemic — is set to resume May 17, a judge announced Wednesday.
Jurors are expected to hear a new round of opening statements from attorneys, with Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Mark E. Windham saying that the lawyers should focus on what the panel has already heard and will hear during the balance of the trial.
The jury heard opening statements and two days of testimony before the case was put on hold in mid-March of last year due to concerns about COVID-19. The pandemic forced court officials to close the county’s courthouses to all but time-sensitive, essential matters.
Jurors had been hearing the case at the Airport courthouse near Los Angeles International Airport, but the trial will be moved to the Inglewood courthouse to better enable the court to enable social-distancing protocols.
Attorneys for both sides will be back in court for a hearing April 12.
Durst, 77, is charged with the December 2000 shooting death of his longtime friend, Susan Berman, at her home in the Benedict Canyon area of Los Angeles.
In opening statements last year, Deputy District Attorney John Lewin alleged that Durst killed Berman after she told him she was going to talk to investigators looking into the still-unsolved 1982 disappearance of his first wife, Kathie.
Durst was acquitted of murder in Texas after testifying that he killed his neighbor, Morris Black, in self-defense in September 2001. Los Angeles County prosecutors allege that Durst was in Galveston, Texas, while posing as a mute woman after authorities launched a new investigation into what had happened to Kathie Durst.
In his opening statement, the defendant’s lead attorney, Dick DeGuerin, told jurors that Durst panicked after finding Berman’s body in her home while coming to visit her for the holidays. Durst wrote an anonymous “cadaver note” that was subsequently mailed to Beverly Hills police so her body would be found, DeGuerin said, noting that Durst would testify in his own defense.
Durst was profiled in a six-part HBO television series “The Jinx: The Life and Deaths of Robert Durst,” in which the defendant was later recorded saying “There it is, you’re caught” and “killed them all, of course.”
Durst has been behind bars since March 14, 2015, when he was taken into custody in a New Orleans hotel room hours before the airing of the final episode of the HBO series, which examined Kathie’s disappearance and the killings of Berman and Black.
Durst has been long estranged from his real estate-rich family, which is known for ownership of a series of New York City skyscrapers — including an investment in the World Trade Center. He split with the family when his younger brother was placed in charge of the family business, leading to a drawn-out legal battle.
According to various media reports, Durst ultimately reached a settlement under which the family paid him $60 million to $65 million.
>> Want to read more stories like this? Get our Free Daily Newsletters Here!Follow us: