A newborn boy was safely turned over to a Santa Monica hospital over the weekend under the Safe Surrender Program, a county official announced Tuesday.
Supervisor Don Knabe said the boy was surrendered at a hospital on Sunday and taken into protective custody. The newborn will be placed with a family by the Department of Children and Family Services.
He was the third infant to be surrendered this year in Los Angeles County, the second in Santa Monica and the 145th since the program began in 2001.
“I am thrilled to hear that a mother made the better choice and gave her son a second chance at life by safely surrendering him at the hospital,” Knabe said. “Thanks to the courage of this mother, a baby boy now has the opportunity to grow up in a loving family.”
Under the county’s Safe Surrender law, a parent or guardian is allowed to surrender an infant who is no more than three days old at a hospital or fire station without repercussions if the baby shows no sign of abuse.
Knabe said it was important to continue to build awareness of the program.
“Though we’ve been able to save the lives of 145 babies so far, we need to continue spreading the word that there is a safe, secure and anonymous way for mothers to get their baby into safe hands at any fire station or hospital, any time and protect them from abandonment,” Knabe said. “No shame. No blame. No names.”
— Wire reports