Authorities Friday announced a reward of up to $50,000 to help solve the killing of a man who was gunned down while hiking in Ernest E. Debs Regional Park in September.

Jason Cortez, 29, was shot about 3:30 p.m. Sept. 10 on a trail inside the park and died at the scene, according to City Councilman Gil Cedillo, who organized a news conference Friday at which the reward was announced.

The victim’s name was listed by the Los Angeles County coroner’s office as Jason Cortez Nativi, who was a Virginia resident.

“A witness came forward who provided a sketch of a suspect he saw in the bushes holding a rifle,” Cedillo said in a statement earlier this week.

“A thorough canvass of the area has resulted in no new leads, and as of this date, no new witnesses have provided information. We need help from community members in identifying the suspect of this horrible murder.”

Corina Solorzano, the slain man’s wife, was among those present at the Friday news conference.

“Jason was not only my husband and an amazing son and brother and loyal friend,” Corina Solorzano said. “This was supposed to be our first Christmas and New Year’s together as a married couple. But now it’s the first I’ll celebrate without him in seven years. Jason’s family and I are desperate for answers, and we need your help.”

The suspect was described as 5 feet 10 inches to 5 feet 11 inches tall, and 20-30 years old. He wore a blue hooded sweatshirt.

The reward was offered by the Los Angeles City Council. Anyone with information on the case was urged to call Los Angeles police Detective Alex Abundis at 213-486-8700. Anonymous tips may be submitted to Crime Stoppers by calling 800-222-TIPS, or via the website www.lacrimestoppers.org.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.