Aided by diminishing winds and stepped-up manpower on the fire lines, fire officials increased containment on the 7,500-acre Canyon Fire 2 Tuesday, and authorities lifted evacuation orders for most residents who were forced to flee their homes.
Fire officials confirmed that 13 homes in the eastern Anaheim area were destroyed by the fast-moving blaze, and 21 others were damaged. Two outbuildings, believed to be garages or sheds, were also destroyed.
According to fire officials, all evacuation orders and road closures in the area were lifted at 5 p.m. with the exception of houses off Windes Drive north of Santiago Canyon Road in Orange. That street will remain closed, along with Santa Ana Canyon Road between Woodcrest and Gypsum Canyon roads in Anaheim.
Residents returning to their homes were being advised to check their property for fire and water damage to ensure the structure is safe. Officials in the city of Orange advised returning residents who own large animals to wait at least 24 hours before retrieving them.
The lifting of evacuations was the latest good news from the fire line, with authorities reporting earlier Tuesday that the blaze was 25 percent contained, with much of the blaze doused on the west side of the 241 toll road, allowing crews to focus their efforts on the eastern flank. Fire crews reported late Tuesday afternoon that they had build a “solid containment line” along the eastern edge of communities near the 241.
An updated containment figure, however, was not immediately released.
Nearly 1,100 firefighters were battling the blaze Tuesday, aided by numerous crews in water-dropping aircraft. The onshore winds that whipped the fire out of control on Monday diminished and shifted direction Tuesday, aiding in the firefight.
The cause of the fire remains under investigation, officials said.
The fire erupted Monday about a mile from the area scorched by the recent Canyon Fire, which blackened more than 2,600 acres and took more than a week to contain. Smoke from the new blaze could be seen for miles in all directions Monday, prompting warnings from health officials for people to remain indoors.
The fire initially broke out near the Riverside (91) Freeway east of Gypsum Canyon Road, near the Coal Canyon flashpoint of September’s Canyon Fire, according to the OCFA.
But while last month’s Canyon Fire burned east, winds of about 25 mph pushed its sequel to the west on Monday, prompting mandatory evacuation orders for residents south of the Riverside Freeway and west of the 241 toll road. The evacuation area was repeatedly expanded — with 5,000 homes in Anaheim Hills, Orange and Tustin under evacuation orders at the fire’s height.
Gov. Jerry Brown issued an emergency proclamation for Orange County late Monday, freeing up state resources to help with battling the fire. The federal government on Tuesday approved a disaster declaration for California, focusing mostly on fires in the northern part of the state that have killed at least 15 people.
Firefighters battled the flames Monday amid dry, gusty conditions that prompted red flag warnings across the region. Those red flag warnings expired by mid-morning Tuesday.
One firefighter suffered a minor smoke-inhalation injury battling the blaze.
Chapman University in Orange was closed Monday and Tuesday due to smoky air from the blaze, but classes were scheduled to resume Wednesday. Santiago Canyon College, however, will remain closed Wednesday.
Orange Unified School District officials, meanwhile, said El Modena High School, Santiago Charter Middle School and El Rancho Charter Middle School will all reopen Wednesday, but six elementary schools — Anaheim Hills, Canyon Rim, Chapman Hills, Linda Vista, Panorama and Running Springs — will be closed. All other schools in the district will be open.
–City News Service
>> Want to read more stories like this? Get our Free Daily Newsletters Here!Follow us: