A felon who shot and wounded a man during a dispute at a Riverside motel was convicted Monday of firearm assault and other charges.

After less than two days of deliberations, a Riverside jury found 53-year-old Rodney Mitchell Meredith of Los Angeles guilty of the gun assault count, as well as one count each of being a felon in possession of a loaded gun and possession of controlled substances. However, jurors acquitted him of sentence-enhancing gun and great bodily injury allegations.

Riverside County Superior Court Judge Mark Johnson scheduled a pre-sentencing hearing for Tuesday at the Riverside Hall of Justice.

Meredith remains held without bail at the Robert Presley Detention Center in Riverside.

Prosecution and defense testimony concluded Thursday, and the two sides delivered closing statements Friday morning, after which Johnson sent jurors behind closed doors to weigh evidence from the weeklong trial.

The attack occurred in the predawn hours of July 28, 2020, in front of the Sands Motel on Magnolia Avenue, just north of the Riverside (91) Freeway.

According to a trial brief filed by the District Attorney’s Office, Meredith was staying in a room on the second floor of the motel and was drawn outside soon after the victim, whose name was not disclosed, arrived with his wife to check into a room nearby.

The victim may have awakened Meredith, who emerged from his room angrily, exchanging words with the victim as he stood near the motel lobby, waiting for his spouse, court papers stated.

Meredith was captured on security surveillance video cameras walking down from his room in an aggressive posture, prosecutors said. However, he returned to his room moments later, without physically engaging the victim.

A few minutes later, Meredith returned to the parking lot, this time armed with a 9mm pistol. He brandished it at the victim, who ducked for fear of being shot, but the defendant did not fire, according to the prosecution.

“Approximately 15 minutes later, defendant is still confronting the victim,” the brief said. “Defendant walks in and out of his room … yelling and gesturing towards the victim. He marches toward the middle of the parking lot (and) fires the handgun in a southwest direction.”

The victim was struck in the left leg.

Meredith wrapped himself in a red blanket and fled the motel shortly before Riverside police officers converged on the location, the brief stated.

According to Riverside Police Department Officer Ryan Railsback, a K-9 unit was summoned to search for Meredith, and the dog, Maxx, quickly picked up Meredith’s scent, leading his handler to the area of Magnolia Avenue and Skofstad Street, roughly three blocks west of the shooting. Meredith was spotted at a bus stop and taken into custody without incident.

The victim made a full recovery and would only tell police that he did not have a “beef” with Meredith, saying little else about the confrontation, according to the brief.

The defense maintains that the victim was hostile and started the dispute.

According to court records, Meredith has prior convictions in Los Angeles County for assault with a deadly weapon and felony burglary.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.