Photo via Pixabay

A woman who alleges Basketball Hall of Fame guard Gary Payton battered her twice during a trip to Seattle in 2015 cannot prove her case and is out for a “money grab” at the expense of a millionaire former professional athlete, an attorney for the retired NBA player told a jury Tuesday.

“Our position is that her claims are bogus,” lawyer John Burris said during final arguments in trial of Trishtan Williams’ Los Angeles Superior Court lawsuit against the ex-Laker guard, whom she dated for about six months.

Burris said that unlike the cases of former Baltimore Ravens running back Ray Rice’s assault on his then-girlfriend and the attack on Jay Z by Beyonce’s sister, Solange, no video exists to support Williams’ claims. He also said there was a lack of demonstrable bruising as well as any evidence that the plaintiff did everything she could to get away from someone who allegedly inflicted a severe beating upon her.

“He was choking the life out of her, so she claims,” Burris said. “It’s all about, `how do you know it’s true?’ What you have on this point is only her word.”

Attorney Nathan Goldberg, on behalf of the 30-year-old Williams, recommended during his final argument Monday that the jury award his client $500,000 in compensatory damages and $1.5 million in punitive damages.

Burris said those numbers were unreasonable. He said a woman who truly was battered would not have gone back to the hotel room where she was staying with her alleged abuser and would not have allowed him to take her to her Ladera Heights home after they flew back to Los Angeles.

“It’s up to you to see that this is nothing but a money grab,” Burris told the jury.

Payton, 48, sat expressionless as he listened to his attorney’s argument. During the trial, he testified that Williams angered him by posting a photo of herself on Instagram during a sports awards ceremony they attended. It caught the attention of another woman he was dating at the same time, prompting her to send him an angry text.

Payton told jurors that only married men can cheat, but that because he was single, he was free to date as many women as he wanted. Payton had divorced his wife of 14 years several years earlier.

Burris asked the jurors not to hold Payton’s views on relationships against him.

“This case is not about the morals of Gary Payton,” Burris said. “He’s his own individual and he can live his life the way he wants.”

In his rebuttal to Burris, Goldberg said that unlike most domestic violence cases, Williams had a witness to the alleged first attack on her in an SUV, where a colleague of Payton’s at Fox Sports, Yvette Inclan, was riding in the back seat.

“This is a case about a woman being battered in a relationship by a professional athlete,” Goldberg said. “He needs to take responsibility for what he’s done.”

Williams, whose lawsuit claims are assault, battery and intentional infliction of emotional distress, says that during her relationship with Payton — they dated from July 2014 to January 2015 — he evolved from being someone she believed was committed to her to an individual who cheated on her and became abusive, forcing her to end their union.

Williams — who is a former producer for “The Amazing Race” and “America’s Next Top Model,” according to IMDb — testified that she met Payton in Las Vegas when he walked up and introduced himself. She said she did not know he was a former NBA player and that they went out on a date the next night.

Williams said the two eventually traveled together, including the trip to Seattle in late January 2015. Payton worked at the time as a Fox Sports analyst and made a presentation during a sports awards ceremony that evening before the couple returned to the W Seattle hotel in a rented SUV, Williams testified.

Williams said she, Payton and then-Fox marketing employee Inclan later spent three to four hours at Ozzie’s bar, where the ex-athlete met with friends who played darts with him.

Williams said the first alleged assault by Payton occurred during the ride back to the hotel from Ozzie’s. She said she was seated in the front passenger seat when the 6-foot-4-inch, 200-plus-pound ex-athlete began hitting her with his fists and choking her. She said her head bounced against the right passenger window during the struggle.

Williams, who is 5-foot-2, said her head hit the glass again during an ensuing tussle and that she jumped out of the SUV after Payton slowed down. Both Payton and Inclan implored her to return to the vehicle, Williams said, so she got back in the SUV. She alleged that after they returned to their hotel room, Payton picked her up by the neck and began choking her again.

Williams said she had accepted Inclan’s offer to stay in her room, but that when she called the woman’s room, she did not receive an answer. Inclan testified she fell asleep and did not hear her phone ring.

Burris said Inclan’s support of Williams’ claims about what happened in the SUV are unreliable because Inclan was drunk from consuming alcohol at Ozzie’s.

–City News Service

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.