A fire that erupted Tuesday on the second floor of a newly constructed home in Temecula damaged a network of rooftop solar panels, left two firefighters with minor injuries and temporarily displaced the occupants.
The blaze was reported at 2:10 p.m. at the end of a cul de sac in the 31900 block of Calle Elenita, according to the Riverside County Fire Department.
About two dozen personnel were sent to the location and encountered smoke and flames along the roof of the two-story property. Roughly 30 minutes later, firefighters knocked down the blaze and requested assistance from Southern California Edison and the gas company technicians in assessing and working on damage to household utilities.
One fireman suffered a minor laceration to the head but did not require hospitalization. Another hurt his shoulder and was also treated at the scene, officials said.
A battalion chief said flames ate into a solar array and part of the attic.
The residents, a man and woman whose names were not releaesd, were displaced but declined help from the American Red Cross.
It was unclear whether a malfunctioning panel triggered the fire, which remained under investigation.
>> Want to read more stories like this? Get our Free Daily Newsletters Here!Follow us: