The 2021 Desert X art exhibition, a contemporary art biennial in the Coachella Valley, will not be held next month due to the coronavirus pandemic, organized announced Friday.

New dates for the event, originally slated for Feb. 6 to April 11, will be confirmed later once state stay-at-home orders are lifted, organizers said.

Desert X Founder and President Susan Davis said in a statement that in light of the ongoing public health crisis, organizers decided to wait until “we are out of the lockdown period before opening to the public.”

“The artists’ projects are ready, and the Desert X team and board will identify a new opening date as soon as we believe we can safely do so,” Davis said.

The free event includes art installations placed at outside sites across 40 miles of desert.

Organizers announced in October the event would go on, citing its unique ability to provide socially distanced experiences at scattered sites throughout the Coachella Valley.

Organizers had also promised a beefed-up digital presence for remote viewing opportunities.

Building off the success of the inaugural exhibition in 2017, Desert X returned in 2019 with displays across the valley. The 2021 installation — if it goes forward — will be the organization’s third.

Artistic Director Neville Wakefield returned to the helm of Desert X for the 2021 installation, along with a new co-curator, Cesar Garcia-Alvarez, the executive and artistic director of The Mistake Room, a nonprofit art space in Los Angeles.

Garcia has curated a wide range of notable exhibitions and projects in the United States and abroad and was the United States commissioner of the 13th International Cairo Biennial in Egypt from 2012-2013.

Garcia-Alvarez previously pledged to work closely with local artists and residents in his work at Desert X.

More information is available at www.desertx.org.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *