The Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors directed its staff Tuesday to identify resources that could be offered to assist operators of hundreds of food trucks or other mobile-food facilities who had their personal information erroneously published on a county website.
The county Department of Public Health announced last week that some operators whose food businesses underwent health inspections over the past two years had their personal information erroneously posted on the agency’s website.
The information — including names, driver’s license numbers and possibly dates of birth — has since been removed from the Environmental Health Division’s website, but county officials said they have been working to contact people who were affected.
It was not immediately clear when the information was posted or how long it was publicly accessible online, but county officials said the release affected operators of 806 facilities that underwent environmental health inspections between July 1, 2020, and July 29, 2022.
The county Board of Supervisors voted 4-0 Tuesday, with Supervisor Sheila Kuehl absent, in support of a motion by Supervisor Kathryn Barger calling for a report within 30 days on what resources the county can provide to affected business operators.
“The threat of identity theft and its consequences are real,” Barger said in a statement after the vote. “I wrote this motion because the county has a duty to help any mobile food operators and permittees who are now at a heightened risk since their personal information was mistakenly shared. I want business owners to feel supported. The best way to do that right now is to identify tailored and responsive resources that can help.”
In her motion, Barger wrote that the county “must do more to correct and address any potential deficiencies within our own processes to prevent any such similar situations from occurring again.”
Anyone who believes their information may have been compromised was urged to call the county at 888-700-9995 to determine if they were impacted by the inappropriate posting.
County officials said last week the health agency has retrained its workforce “on the relevant policies and procedures and provided additional trainings to prevent future incidents.”