United States Federal Courthouse Los Angeles. Photo by John Schreiber.
United States Federal Courthouse Los Angeles. Photo by John Schreiber.

The “shot caller” of a Mexican Mafia-controlled gang that operated in a South Los Angeles neighborhood was sentenced Monday to 27 years behind bars for orchestrating the day-to-day activities of the clique.

Manuel Valencia, 38, of Walnut pleaded guilty last year to federal charges of violating the federal racketeering statute and engaging in a continuing criminal enterprise connected to drug trafficking.

“The charges against Mr. Valencia were extremely serious, including his leadership over the Harpys gang and the violence that he personally committed and oversaw,” Assistant U.S. Attorney Ben Barron told City News Service. “The 27-year prison term imposed today should send a clear message that this conduct will not be tolerated.”

Valencia’s sentencing comes three weeks before the daughter of the Mexican Mafia member who controlled the Harpys gang from prison is set to be sentenced on similar counts.

In his plea agreement, Valencia admitted that he oversaw and participated in gang activities, which included collecting “taxes” from drug dealers who were allowed to operate in gang territory, retaliating against people who ran afoul of the gang, and engaging in drug trafficking.

Vianna Roman, 39, of Los Angeles — daughter of Mexican Mafia member Danny Roman — pleaded guilty last year to racketeering, narcotics and weapons offenses as a result of a plea agreement that recommends a prison sentence of no more than 20 years.

Vianna Roman admitted that she acted as a conduit for her father’s orders as he exercised control over the Harpys gang.

More than two dozen defendants charged three years ago in a federal racketeering indictment targeting the Harpys have pleaded guilty, prosecutors said.

The Harpys gang, also known as the Harpys-Dead End gang, controlled illegal activities in an area southwest of downtown from Normandie Avenue to Figueroa Street and Washington Boulevard to Jefferson Boulevard.

The City Attorney’s Office last year filed civil enforcement actions to curb the gang’s activity at two South Los Angeles locations.

City News Service

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.