Photo by John Schreiber.
Photo by John Schreiber.

A 14-year-old Claremont boy accused in the stabbing death of his older sister made his first appearance in a Pomona courtroom Monday on a murder charge.

Nathaniel Douglas Geurts, also known as Nathan, had been scheduled to enter a plea, but his arraignment was postponed until Dec. 9. He remains in custody.

Guerts is charged as an adult in the criminal complaint filed against him Friday, which includes a knife allegation.

Police allege the fatal assault occurred as the two were alone at a residence in the 300 block of Andover Drive around 5 p.m. Wednesday. Aspen Geurts, 15, died at the scene.

Her brother was apprehended with the alleged murder weapon, a knife, in his possession, as he walked away from the residence, according to Claremont police Detective Lt. Mike Ciszek.

The boy was “calm and cooperative with officers during the investigation,” Ciszek said.

Police officers and Los Angeles County Fire Department paramedics went to the scene as the result of a cell phone call taken by the California Highway Patrol at 5:07 p.m., Ciszek said. He would not identify who made the emergency call about the first homicide in Claremont since October 2009.

— Wire reports 

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.